Monday, October 05, 2009

manners in the subway p2

Last year I wrote about a series of posters encouraging commuters to be courteous to their fellow passengers on the train. I almost forgot that I still continued taking pictures after the last one, and that I have yet to post about it.

In October, it showed a comic sequence of a boy practicing his golf shots using an umbrella at the platform. It may not look realistic, but as usual, I found the expression on the "victim's" face amusing.


(Caption : Please be careful when handling a wet umbrella.)


During the change in season, when hay fever was at its height, the poster in March advised its commuters to properly dispose of their used tissues. I personally find the Japanese to be highly hygienic, not just in their homes but in public spaces as well. For example, after a picnic during hanami or hanabi, they will clean up the areas where they have been, collect the rubbish and bring them home. They will also carefully separate the rubbish accordingly so they can be recycled.


(Caption : Please take your trash with you. Do not leave it on the train.)


The next one in April depicted a young man intently reading his newspaper, oblivious to those sitting next to him. The Japanese are famously known for reading comic books while commuting. They do it while sitting, they do it while standing, even when the train is packed to the brim. I myself have gotten into the same habit, bringing with me a small booklet to while my time on the train. No wonder they have one of the highest rate of literacy in the world. So much so statistics is not even needed!


(Caption : Please be considerate of those around you on the train.)


Come June, it's imperative that you bring an umbrella because it's the peak of the rainy season. This poster reminded me of the station near my house. In fact, most Metro stations are underground, so when you go down the stairs from the rain you have to be careful when you close your umbrella.


(Caption : Please be careful when handling a wet umbrella.)


Other than books, shopping bags are also another necessary item. For the women at least. Part being a carrier for their personal items, it's also a means to show that they've "arrived". No wonder some branded paperbags are still being used even though they looked, well, used. I found out that some paperbags can fetch quite high prices when sold online. Darn, I should have kept my Cecil McBee one!


(Caption : Please be considerate of others when handling baggage on the train.)


August signals the end of summer, and people take this opportunity to enjoy the sun as much as they can. After returning from Europe, I understood better why those few months of sun mattered to people living in seasonal countries. It's the only time where you can wear the lightest clothing in your wardrobe and not worry about catching a cold.


(Caption : The platform edge is dangerous. Please wait behind the white line.)

No comments: